Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Right off I’ll tell you I thought this film was good, but not great. The performance of Brad Pitt was very good and Tilda Swinton in a supporting role was terrific as she always is. The story was interesting as was the concept of a man born old who ages but regresses physically. Now right off this is a problem since in the beginning of his life he’s infant size, but has qualities of an old man. Yet at the end of his life he physically appears a normal infant, but inside…you guessed it, has the body of an old man. Okay, that bugged me even though I know this is fantasy and you’re supposed to suspend disbelief.

Cate Blanchett plays the love interest from their time of childhood through their time of old age. They meet in the middle for romance when they are of a similar age. Cate looked gorgeous in this role, but I really didn’t adore her Daisy that much as I have other characters she’s played in the past. The two had good chemistry as Benjamin and Daisy, but I quite enjoyed Benjamin’s first romance with the married, but lonely, Tilda Swinton character more.

Where this film seems to beg for Academy Award nominations would be in makeup. What they do with Pitt as Benjamin is amazing and impressive. You truly can’t believe your eyes. The cinematography is beautiful too.

The film moved a bit slowly and was overly long. I think it would have been better if it had been trimmed down by maybe about 20 minutes. I give the film an overall B rating.

No comments: